Friday, April 18, 2008

Call centers of insurance companies

I gave a practical project to the studnets in my class on Risk Management & Insurance. They had to call the insurance companies in Singapore to ask for quotations for motor, term, accident and medical insurance.

The general conclusion from the projects are:

a) Most insurance c0mpanies were not well organised to handle direct enquiries
b) Many companies took a long time to respond to a simple requests

There is big potential for a new insurance companies to develop its business by organising a well managed call center that can respond to direct enquiries from customers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not just insurance companies but also banks, govt depts or other business places. Sometimes you get mislead by phone queries. The staff is not knowledgeable and trained but also lacking in basic manners or have language problems. I have encountered them all. In general service sector is never a strong point for Singapore.

Anonymous said...

I forgot the pin number of my credit card. I visit X bank personally. The receptionest said the retail bank can not help! Instead, she ask me to telephone the Bank ! Why the bank issue the credit card and can not help customer?!! She was not busy when I visit the retail bank!!!

Next, I telephone the credit card call centre at my home. I ask for "English" consultant. I received many round of questions. Fortunately, I am chinese educated. I use "Mandarin" channel to check my enquiry. The consulant solve my problem instantly. His vocal tell me he is NOT a Singapore Chinese! Probably, the bank has outsource its service. Singaporen lost a job to PRC !

For future enquiry to call center, try "Mandarin", "Malay" or "Tamil" if available.

Blog Archive