Saturday, September 20, 2008

Foreign currency exchange rates

Do not trust your bank to give you a fair exchange rate. They don't. They like to increase their profits, and that is done by charging a high spread on their customers.

If you change from foreign currency X to foreign currency Y, the bank changes your money from X to SGD and from SGD to Y. At each change, they charge a spread of about 1%. You have to pay a spread of 2% for changing from X to Y. This is too high. If you do not ask, the bank does not tell you how it is done. It applies the two spread automatically and send a statement to you. When you realise it, it is too late.

In the past, I trust my bank. Now, I don't. I always ask my bank to quote the exchange rate or interest rate to me. With the quoted rate, I can compare with the rates charged by other banks. My bank automatically gives me a competitive rate, as they are afraid when I move my business to another bank. Later, they will lose me as a customer.

You should always your bank to quote the rate to you. The relationship manager will give you the "excuse" that the rate changes every minute. This is partly true. But the real reason is that, if you do not ask, they can charge you a large spread and you will not realise it.

I hope that the Consumer Association or Monetary Authority of Singapore get the bank to adopt a code of practice that is transparent and fair to consumers.

2 comments:

ashke said...

I tried to ask them before when I changed some money but they said that it depended on the day's exchange change rate so couldn't give me an answer.

Anonymous said...

My mum is thinking of putting her savings into NZ currency FD as her friends tell her that the interest rates are better and she will be better off with that. Is that true? Could you please advise as I don't wish for her to have to worry about her money after parking it in the Foreign currency FD. Thanks.

Blog Archive