Wednesday, June 08, 2011

President has to work within the Constitution

President Nathan said that he has been doing his work in his own quite way and within the limits of his powers in the Constitution. I agree with that statement.

I have also studied the powers of the president within the constitution in framing my ideas. So far, nobody has told me that my suggestions are out of the scope of the President's powers.

Many people have asked me to state what I would do in exercise the powers of the President, so I am giving my honest and personal view. It is not made out of enthusiasm but my frank assessment of the issue (i.e. the unease of the people) and the need to better communicate the position in an annual report.

There will be limitations on what can be disclosed in the annual report (e.g. state secrets) but without creating  

any negative impact in the national interest, it should be possible to allay the concerns of the people.


On a personal note, I have high respect for President Nathan. He is a fatherly figure, friendly and helpful and gives dignity to the office of the President. 


Tan Kin Lian

No comments:

Blog Archive