Hello Mr Tan,
I noted that the government is trying to get Singaporeans to sign Advanced Medical Directive. From the insurer's point of view, is death via termination of life support system considered suicide?
NTUC Income does not treat AMD as "suicide".
We are guided by the following view stated in a FAQ from MOH website.
Does the AMD Act encourage euthanasia?
No, the AMD Act does NOT encourage euthanasia. On the contrary, the AMD Act is explicitly and categorically against euthanasia. The Act states in:
Section 17(1) - Nothing in the Act shall authorise an act that causes or accelerates death as distinct from an act that permits the dying process to take its natural course.
Section 17(2) - It is hereby declared that nothing in this Act shall condone, authorise or approve abetment of suicide, mercy killing or euthanasia.
A terminally ill patient CANNOT use the AMD to commit suicide, nor does the AMD allow doctors to abet in any suicidal attempt. This is punishable by law.
- ► 2013 (314)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
10/29 - 11/05
- How to provide for my family
- Ideal Plan for your child
- Flexi-Link: Earn up to $26,000 more
- Ideal Plan: Earn up to $32,000 more
- Shop for the best financial products
- Compare fixed deposit with money market fund
- It cost only $10 a month to insure for $100,000
- More people join Incomeshield
- Invest in a life annuity
- Buy a life annuity
- Put your cash in money market now
- Consumers need advice "untouched by selfish agenda...
- Our agents give better value to customers
- Hard boiled eggs
- Top up showed a large gain in a few months
- Cooling off period for sale of financial products
- NTUC Income does NOT treat AMD as suicide
- ▼ 10/29 - 11/05 (17)
- ► 2005 (159)