A friend told me this story. She invested $25,000 in a "vitamin account" offered by a bank. The account paid 4% interest. After one year, the value of the account plus the interest paid is still LESS than the principal invested. There was no gain for the past one year.
She also invested in the Combined Fund managed by NTUC Income. It produced a return of about 10% during the same period.
She asked the bank why the return was still negative. The bank officer advised her to wait longer.
My friend now realised that the bank had high charges in the "vitamin account". Her money is locked up for 6 years. She does not know when she is going to get a decent return.
It is an expensive lesson for her.
Most structured deposits being marketed by the banks are similar to this product, namely:
- high charges (not disclosed)
- a complicated formula on calcuting the value of the investments
- a locked-in period
I wish to advise all consumers. Do not invest in the structured products. They are to your disadvantahe.
Invest your money in a large, well diversified fund, with low charges (less than 1% per annum). You will benefit in the long term.
- ► 2013 (314)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
11/05 - 11/12
- High commission for life insurance products
- Diversified funds with low fees
- NTUC Income funds will continue to perform well
- FAQ: Financial Planning Tips
- Financial Plan for Teenage Children
- High cost of structured product
- Save in Ideal plan now and buy a life annuity late...
- Term insurance sells very well
- Do you want to retire at age 54?
- Why structured products are risky
- What return can you expect from NTUC Income's fund...
- Do not invest in structured products
- Best Fund to Invest
- What are structured products?
- Policyholders enjoyed up to 15% higher return on t...
- AIA Choice Life policyholders has to pay premium f...
- Two pitfalls to avoid in your investments
- An expensive lesson
- Financial Adviser earns trailer fee of 1% annually...
- ▼ 11/05 - 11/12 (19)
- ► 2005 (159)