The Beijing National Stadium, more commonly described as the Bird Nest, cost USD 423 million to build.
Someone commented that the stadium was not used after the Beijing Olympics. Is this wasteful?
What could China do with the same money?
1. Invest in US Treasuries to earn interest at 4%?
2. Build houses for the people in China to live in?
3. Give the money to third world countries as aid?
I believe that the money is well spent, as it builds the infrastructure that can be used for the next 30 years. It also gave jobs for the workers who are involved in the construction. If not, these workers might be idle.
Of course, the workers can be used to build houses for the people to live in, but this is already catered by the private sector. I believe that it is the duty of the Government to build the long term infrastructure of the country.
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
03/15 - 03/22
- Surrender a Living policy
- Pinnacle Action Group: Class Action in U.S. Courts...
- Meet the man whose big idea felled Wall Street
- Motor insurance premiums
- The best places to be laid off
- Buddhist monks say Twitter can lead to happiness
- Creating service jobs in Singapore
- Business Week: Innovation - Singapore is No. 1, we...
- Thought for the day: challenge and controversy
- Shin Min Interview - General Election
- Survey: Rating of Government ministries (Singapore...
- Motor insurance - regulator can play a part
- Motor Insurance premiums set to rise
- Bird Nest Stadium in Beijing
- Life insurance quotation gives misleading informat...
- ▼ 03/15 - 03/22 (15)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)