Friday, January 08, 2010

Home purchase and financial planning

Someone asked me about my recent interest in HDB flat. This is part of my research for my financial planning book.

In my book, I advised that a person should set aside up to 25% of their family income towards the purchase of a home. They should not exceed 25%.

I decided to carry out some research into the price of HDB flat, as it affects 85% of the people in Singapore. If they are able to keep their purchase commitment to an affordable level (i.e. 25% of their family income), they would be able to have sufficient savings for other purposes. This is explained in my financial planning book.

My book will be sent for printing in January and will be available in the bookstores in March 2010.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Home is a primary residence and not for investment but can be tapped for its equity during retirement.
Yes , it is an asset accumulation in the early years or the saving phase of a person.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Mr Tan for your interest in the man-in-the-street and your hard work.

Home Loans said...

Seems nice book, But do this book focus only at your country: ?

Blog Archive