Sunday, May 26, 2013

Bad experience with Standard Chartered Bank - continuing episode

I have very bad experience with Standard Chartered credit cards. It has been a nightmare since I accepted their Visa and Master cards a year ago.

It took more than 6 months for my GIRO to be implemented. My earlier instruction was reported loss and the second set was approved after a long delay.

I was shocked to learn recently that they were only deducting the minimum $50 from my card, and not the full amount that I intended. This allowed them to earn their "interest" at the exorbitant rate of 2% per month.

Their call center said that this was "my instruction" on the form. Their forms were extremely complicated, so it was so easy to make a mistake.


Even their statement is so complicated, it is difficult to know what is being owed to the bank and what is the amount to be paid. They give information about "points" that really confuse the customer.

Getting through to their call center was another big hassle. they asked for my name, NRIC, mobile number, current employer, previous employer and the number of accounts that I had with them.

I instructed to cancel both cards, and they said that I had a balance in one card and it cannot be cancelled. I suspect that they really want to make things difficult for their customer to cancel the card with their tedious process.

I will cancel the cards anyway. I will not take any more card from that bank.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I m a priority account customer with stanchart. I was given a Priority Visa which the bank manager told me is the best credit card in the world.

When I toured Europe in march, I charged my overseas expenses to this card and my Citibank credit card. Upon my return, Citibank uses a rate of 1.66 for the euro,while stanchart bill me 1.705. The rate was then 1.63 given by money changer. My point is,stanchart rates is very high,higher than any other credit card. Moreover,Priority credit card supposed to be the "best" credit card. I have since stopped using stanchart.

Blog Archive