Sunday, October 15, 2017

My dog Elliot - the Singaporean.

When I take my dog Elliot out for a walk in the morning, he walks in a haphazard manner - sometimes in the front, sometimes to the right and sometimes to the left. The worse case was when he walks behind me and then to the left, with the lease going round my back.

He did not realize that it was inconvenient for me. He only knew what was convenient for him.

His behavior reminds me of many Singaporeans. They know what is good for them, but does not if it is also good for others.

Elliot is also a Singaporean - born and raise in Singapore. So, it would not be surprising that he adopts the habits of many Singaporeans.

We call Elliot a useless dog. He does not bark at strangers. When the strangers came to the house, he runs and hide in the furthest corner he can find.

He is even scared of small animals and children.He is scared of the rain and of the sound of passing cars.

This behavior also reflects that of many Singaporeans who are fearful and paranoid about anything that is uncertain and not stated in the SOP.

They worry that any social activity could be breaking the law and they can go to jail. So, they prefer to be silent and avoid involvement in all social activity. They even avoid speaking out against social injustice.

It is very bad for many Singaporeans to behave in this shameful manner, without any backbone or conviction.

I hope that Singaporeans realize that they can and should be better than Elliot.
















No comments:

Blog Archive