Friday, June 10, 2005

Keep the serial number of your mobilephone

Before anyone loses his/her mobile phone, one should first check the serial number of the phone by keying in *#06# where a 15-digit number will appear on the screen.

Please record it down and keep it for reference. In case the phone is lost, the rightful owner can call the service provider (Singtel, M1, Starhub, etc) to disable the phone by providing the serial number.

That means, the person who took the phone cannot use it at all even if they insert a new SIM card. If everyone knows this procedure, there would not be much use Taking away someone's phone. Please feel free to circulate this message.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you write very interesting articles. Good insight too.

Are you really a CEO of NTUC?

Anonymous said...

This actually reminds me of the people in Australia. Most of the Australians afraid that their mobiles will be stolen or lost, so most of them actually purchase the mobile insurances. Isn't it interesting?

Tan Kin Lian said...

Yes, I am the CEO of NTUC Income.

Ivan Chew said...

Hello Mr.Tan, I've posted your message in my blog, as well as other comments.

You can read it here. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

i lost my phone some time in the begining of this year. I called Singtel and tell them to disable my SIM card and mobile phone. I was told that only the SIM card can be disabled and not the mobile phone. That serial number you mention is called IMEI number.

Anonymous said...

I guess Mr Tan must wondering what is IMEI and how it work?

From:

Goon Doo

Tan Kin Lian said...

Perhaps, if the telco disable the SIM card, it will serve the same purpose.

So, there may be no practical advantage in disabling the phone.

Tan Kin Lian said...

Even if one telco disable the phone, I suspect that it can still be used overseas, with another telco that does not disable it.

So, the deterent may not be effective.

Let me try to check more with the telco, on the practicality of this suggestion. If all telcos agree to disable it, then it might work.

Anonymous said...

Mr Tan

I recently lost my HP & IC in a house break-in incident. Besides stealing my HP the culprit also used my IC to get new lines from both M1 and StarHub and bought 3 phones each. Altogether 7 phones.
Its so easy for them and the Telcos are just watching.

Hope someone you do something.

regds

Blog Archive