Hi Mr. Tan,
1) I joined the workforce recently. I plan to start saving $100 a month. Can you recommend any cash value insurance, unit trust or bonds?
It is better to buy Term insurance and to invest your savings in a diversified, low cost fund. Read this FAQ: http://www.tankinlian.com/faq/savings.html
You should avoid a cash value policy, as the cost is high and takes away too much of your savings.
2) I currently hold two life term insurance policy, i.e. the Dependent Protection policy and a Term policy bought while under National Service. Can a person claim under two or more life term insurance if a mishap occurs?
You can claim on all of your life insurance policies, including the two Term policy that you mentioned above. Life insurance is a valued policy and is not subject to the principle of indemnity (which applies to motor and medical insurance). The principle of indemnity limit your claims to the actual expenses that you have incurred.
3) Can a person invest in shares without a stock broker?
You have to buy shares through a stockbroker. The commission is low, i.e. 0.3% only.
- ► 2013 (301)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
02/10 - 02/17
- Subprime Crisis
- Invest in the Combined Fund
- Make regular savings in a low cost fund
- Intimidating letter from lawyer
- Identify the poisoned wine
- Selecting a unit trust
- Term insurance
- Yield of an investment
- Rent out your HDB flat
- Impact of inflation on financial planning
- Benchmark for Life Insurance Policy
- Risk Management & Insurance, SMU
- Sharp drop in AIG shares
- Visit to Jakarta
- Best terms for a car loan
- Term insurance rates are fixed
- Claim settlement service
- Loss control measures
- Useful functions of insurance
- Legal doctrines in insurance
- Investment Tips for a Retiree
- Personal Risks
- Whole life, premium payable for 25 years
- Avoid high cost plans
- Questions from a Young Person
- Lost a camera in a taxi
- Low cost index funds
- Decline in US Dollar
- Economics Joke: Recession and depression
- ▼ 02/10 - 02/17 (30)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)