Saturday, February 16, 2008

Intimidating letter from lawyer

Dear Mr. Tan,
Three months ago, I was involved in an accident with a taxi. I was making a legal U-turn but was hit by the taxi in the opposite direction. It is just a minor accident with a slight band on our bumpers.

I just receid a letter from a lawyer acting on behalf of the taxi driver. Three weeks ago, I received a call from my car insurance company asking me if I can agree to the claims from the taxi driver. I agreed.

In the lawyer's letter, they requested a copy of my IC, insurance schedule and confirmation that I was the driver. The letter was issued based on the presumption in law that the driver was not me. Can I know why this course of action? I have no problem providing them the needed info.

REPLY
It is all right to reply to the lawyer and confirm the identity of the driver. You are not required to send photocopy of NRIC. You can tell them about the identity of your insurance company and ask them the third party lawyer to make the claim directly with them.

If you feel the lawyer is acting in an intimidating way, you can complain to the Law Society.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would not provide the other party's lawyer convenience of information.

Since they have contacted your insurer, can ignore them, and let your insurer handle your claim with them.

In any case, the third party insurer will still issue you a writ of summon.

You will then hand the writ of summon to your insurer.

So whether you give the other party's lawyer the info or not, his lawyer is going to issue u a writ of summon.

I would not provide the other party lawyer information, unless authorised or advised by my insurer.

- Thomas Phua

Blog Archive