Mr. Ken Ng said that NTUC Income will work on the asset share in 2009 and declare bonuses based on the "actual experience". This is not fair to policies that mature in 2007 and 2008, where the bonuses are far short of the asset share.
It is the duty of the appointed actuary to look at the actual experience to declare a fair rate of bonus. Whether the actuary adopt the asset share or other suitable method, the need for fairness has always been a key consideration in the distribution of bonus.
It is not correct for the appointed actuary or the board of directors to ignore this consideration, as it affects the reasonable expectation of the policyholders and could amount to holding back many thousands of dollars that may be fairly attributed to them. There is the risk of legal action taken by the policyholders.
Mr. Ken Ng asked me to clarify that he became the appointed actuary only in 2007. The bonus declaration for 2006 was recommended by the previous appointed actuary, Nick Rhodes, and supported by me when it was presented to the board of directors in late 2006 (when I was still the CEO).
I replied to Mr. Ken Ng that the bonus declared in 2006 showed a significant increase over 2005. I believe that the bonus for 2007 should show a further increase over 2006, as it can be justified by the excellent investment yield achieved in 2007.
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
06/29 - 07/06
- Losing its cooperative character
- Free surplus in the Life Fund
- Buy Two Life Annuities
- Fair Treatment of Policy Owners
- Long breakeven point for 30 year endowment
- Asset share in 2009
- Improve public transport
- Use of asset share in Malaysia
- Cooperative credentials
- Disclose the Asset Share of the Policy
- A Gracious Society
- Public Transport in Singapore
- Low yield on maturing Growth policy
- Losing faith
- Delay in handling a theft claim
- Ask for relevant information
- Bonus that reflect the actual experience
- Outsourcing of work
- Saving regular to buy a Life Annuity
- Switching to a new rider for Shield plan
- Is it time to invest in the stockmarket?
- Investing to get a retirement income
- Financial planning and inflation
- Put People First
- ▼ 06/29 - 07/06 (25)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)