Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Avoid Dual Currency Investments

Hi Mr. Tan,
I refer to your FAQ on dual currency investment. I'm also being asked by my bank to invest in such type of investment - SGD/AUD.

I'm really waiting for the AUD to drop (or SGD to improve), to transfer my funds from SGD to AUD and send it to Australia. The bank said, since you're waiting, why not invest in this product.

My question after reading your example is, when would I stand to lose (you mentioned if the currency is converted to the linked currency). I don't quite understand when I would make a loss (my risk).

I understand that I can earn the interest if the SGD rate drops; I understand that I can earn if the AUD rate improves and my currency is converted at the agreed target rate. Either way, it's just whether I earn more or earn less, but I'm still earning, right?

Please give an example if it helps better explain how I will lose on my initial investment?

REPLY
I advise people to avoid the linked currency products. My reasons are set out here: http://www.tankinlian.com/faq/duali.html

No comments:

Blog Archive