Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pinnacle Notes: Website should be more free with info

Published in Straits Times, Dec 30, 2008

I WAS directed to the Morgan Stanley website for Pinnacles Notes by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) website. When I entered the Morgan Stanley website, I was welcomed by a long legal disclaimer that required the answer 'yes' before I was granted further access. As a result, I was discouraged from entering the website for more information.

May I ask Morgan Stanley to consider removing this legalistic disclaimer and making access free for the following reasons:

- Pinnacle Notes is of public interest, and basic information such as redemption value should be freely available.For example, a bank website provides information on fixed deposits and exchange rates. In another example, unit trust investments are quoted daily via normal marketing channels.

- Morgan Stanley should not impose such a legalistic disclaimer because it is merely allowing access and not providing professional advice. Its exposure is next to zero. Members of the public who want access are looking for information and not professional advice.

It would be fair for Morgan Stanley to allow public access to general information without agreeing to a disclaimer. However, if professional advice is solicited, it is free to give it.

Leong Kok Ho


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Leong.
I dare not clicking "Yes" before reading thro' the term & conditions. So I tried my best to read thro' before entering although most terms are "aliens" to me.
But after entering further, I still could not manage to find the indicative redemption values :o(
All I see are the prospectus, pricing statements etc.
Can anyone help me with that ?
I have P. Notes Series 2 and my sis has Series 3.

Blog Archive