Someone asked, "How to identify a bubble?"
The answer: "Nobody knows". Alan Greenspan, the former chairman of the US Federal Reserve Board said that one knows a bubble after it has burst. This is not helpful. It turned out to be disastrous, as the bursting of the US housing bubble has led to the global financial crisis.
Is there a rule of thumb to identify a bubble? Nobody has dared to stick out his thumb. But I shall try.
You get a bubble when the current price is 50% or 100% higher than the average price for the past 5 years. Maybe, we should look at the actual statistics and see if 50% or 100% is a better indicator.
For example, the average oil price during the past 5 years prior to 2008 must be around US$40. When it exceeded US$80, it was a bubble. After it burst, it returned to US$40.
When the high end property prices in Singapore doubled in value in 2008 compared to the past years, it was a bubble. It burst soon after.
- ► 2013 (298)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
01/11 - 01/18
- SCMP:Singapore ruling on minibonds bring HK hope
- Difficulties faced by migrant workers
- Blog will hit 1 million visitors by 23 Feb 2009
- Complaint on mis-selling of CLN
- Queen's Counsel opinion
- Full refund of $100,000
- Thought for the day - who will speak the words tha...
- MAS statement: Compensation for credit linked note...
- Mis-selling of structured products
- Learn about insurance
- Investor wants to sue the relationship manager
- "Pinnacle Action Group" formed to work on a possib...
- Going to extremes to find a job
- Value and character
- How to identity a bubble
- A new way to do business - by conference call
- Thought for the day - Injustice
- Invest in assets at deflated prices
- Beware of bubbles
- Insurance that worsen crunch
- SCMP:Regulators' reports raise more questions than...
- Part Time Work
- TABS - Taxi Automated Booking Service (8202 8866)
- Hilarious sayings of George W Bush
- SCMP:Two women sue bank over minibond losses
- Yield during the Great Depression of the 1930s
- ▼ 01/11 - 01/18 (26)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)