Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Erosion of ethics and honesty

Previously, we can trust business to be ethical and honest. The standard of ethics has deteriorated much in recent years. Many oraganisations think about profits and do not hesitate to cheat their customers.

I received a cheque in payment of providing a service. I did not bank in the check and it expired after six months. 

I sent an email to ask for a replacement cheque. I did not get any reply. I sent a hard copy letter by post. I did not get any reply. I did not get the replacement cheque. Another six months had passed.

I suspect that the accounts staff of this large and respected organisation probably felt that it was all right for the company to write back the forfeited amount as its profits. This is a very sad state of affairs.

Tan Kin Lian

4 comments:

ZORRO said...

Kin Lian,

There is no such thing as honesty in this world.Let's face it, nobody is honest nowadays.

Are you certain that you have never been honest during your lifetime?

Singapore Short Stories said...

Dear Mr Tan,

How do you feel about Singapore having its very own Blogger Day?

I propose that Singapore will have its very own, first in the world: Singapore Blogger Day to be held on the 31 Jan of every year!

The date 31 Jan has been suggested as the first two characters of the word 'Blogger' : Bl gives rise to 131.

The first Singapore Blogger Day will be celebrated in Singapore with a LOUD BANG on the 31 Jan 2010!

Just my idea, for your opinion?

Parka said...

Nowadays, before I label people unethical and dishonest, I give them the benefit of the doubt of simply being incompetent.

mw said...

Why not go see the organisation in person?

Blog Archive