Hi Mr Tan,
I am 20 years old and looking to enrol at a local university. However, I couldn't get into the course I prefer. I am now looking to study in Australia.
1) Based on my calculation, I will probably accumulate a personal debt of A$60,000at the age of 24. Assuming that I can get a job and pay S$1,400 toward clearing the debt, I'll be 28 yrs old by that time.
2) If I stay in Singapore to study the course (Maths and Economics) that I am not too keen on. I'll be about 26 yrs old, debt-free.
Which is better?
I usually discourage students from incurring a large debt for overseas studies. I know of many students who are not able to get a good paying job after they get an overseas degree. It will take a long time for them to repay the loan.
If you have a place in a local university, the cost is lower, but you have to like the course that you are taking. I find Mathmatics and Economics to be a good course, but perhaps it appeals to some students and not to others. You may be able to find another course that you like from a local university?
I believe that a hard working, well educated student with a good attitude can do well in the job market without an university degree. I suggest that you consider working as well.
- ► 2013 (314)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
06/14 - 06/21
- Puzzle - The Tenth Roll
- Independent finacial adviser - ad on CNBC
- Create jobs to spur economic recovery
- Office Staff in Ang Mo Kio office
- TKL Intelligence Quiz, Sudoku
- Obama's plan for Financial Regulatory Reform
- Obama to Create Consumer Financial Agency
- Reckless behaviour by financial institutions
- Survey: Singapore political system
- Survey: Singaporean values
- Life insurance - indisputable clause
- Paradox of our Time
- FISCA Service
- Treat customers fairly
- Fail to declare hypertension
- Reading Test
- TKL Intelligence Quiz Vol 2
- Smoothing of bonus
- Job crisis in Singapore
- Going overseas for further studies
- Accountability in Hong Kong
- Puzzle: Send More Money
- China Daily:Authority feels more heat on Lehman Br...
- ▼ 06/14 - 06/21 (24)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)