"The Hong Kong Monetary Authority has asked banks selling complex structured products issued by Morgan Stanley to inform clients when such items become more risky.
It urged the banks to investigate allegations of mis-selling of these products.
The HKMA will also investigate those retail banks for any alleged marketing misconduct involving sales of credit-linked products, called Octave Notes, which have plunged in value, deputy chief executive Choi Yiu-kwan told a Legco panel yesterday.
"Distributors have to assess related transactions of products to see if there's been any mis-selling. If yes, they have to report to the HKMA," Choi told the Legco subcommitee probing the Lehman minibonds fiasco.
Choi said HKMA would not start issuing warnings when any structured products start to lose value. "It's inappropriate for regulators to warn against a specific product or a specific issuer when there's potential problems," Choi said. "When something happens, the issuer is responsible for minding investors."
Raymond Ho Chung-tai, chairman of the subcommittee, said the Securities and Futures Commission has so far declined to make public three reports on the minibonds fiasco. He said the subcommittee will continue to push for release of those reports.
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
05/31 - 06/07
- Finding financial advice in an age of bad behaviou...
- It is easy to be cheated (7) - Cashing out your fi...
- It is easy to be cheated (6) - Currency linked not...
- Logic Quiz 5-1 (Vol 4)
- It is easy to be cheated (5) - Equity linked notes...
- Innovation through regulation
- Travel insurance does not cancel trip cancellation...
- It is easy to be cheated (4) - Participating polic...
- The Standard:HKMA urges banks to act on allegation...
- Personal accident insurance
- Excessive increase in motor insurance premium
- State Funderal for Late Presidents - Learn from th...
- Tan Kin Lian's Magazine
- Invest in land banking
- The Standard:Octave Notes spark concerns
- It is easy to be cheated (3) - Credit linked notes...
- Logic Quiz 4-2 (Vol 4)
- It is easy to be cheated (2) - Capital Protected P...
- Benchmark premium rates
- Different Types of Life Insurance Policies
- Preparing your case in FIDREC
- Masdar - City of the Future
- It is easy to be cheated (1) - Introduction
- AGM of NTUC Income
- Logic Quiz 4-1 (Vol 4)
- The spectre of death
- Automated vehicles - to arrive soon?
- Uncertain distribution of bonuses
- Puzzle - The three coins
- ▼ 05/31 - 06/07 (29)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)