MAS was asked about its accountability in the minibonds saga at the press conference:
About the Lehman saga, there were some comments that MAS sort of allowed such instruments to be marketed to consumers. Do you think MAS should take some responsibility?
Mr Heng Swee Keat, managing director of MAS, replied: “I have highlighted a number of things that MAS has been doing in terms of regulation and the supervision of financial institutions (FIs).
“And if you go through the investigation report which has been issued, you will notice that there is a fairly detailed report that goes into the operation of the FIs, and quite a lot of those are operational lapses.
“I emphasised in my remarks that those are the actions that we expect board and senior management of FIs to take, to ensure that guidelines and standards are complied with.”
Would it be fair to say that MAS has no responsibility for the crisis?
Mr Shane Tregillis, MAS deputy managing director of market conduct, said: “We outlined the steps that we took before. In terms of setting the rules, in terms of inspecting, you can clearly outline what we have done since the problems emerged.”
- ► 2013 (304)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
07/12 - 07/19
- 6 day detox programme (3)
- TODAY: On the issue of responsibility
- MySudoku Contest 17 July
- Petition to Prime Minister (2)
- Shape Quiz book is now ready
- 6 day detox programme (2)
- When do you say the Emperor has no clothes
- SCMP:Cleaning up the mess after a big player falls...
- SCMP:Tsang's disapproval rating at record high
- Earthquake and tsunami
- Singapore GIC, Temasek, and Transparency
- 6 day detox programme
- True cost of life assurance
- Financial consumers need new watchdog: Obama admin...
- The New Paper:The real problem? Underwriters hidin...
- Petition to the Prime Minister
- MySudoku Contest 10 July 2009
- Logic9 (Sudoku pocket books)
- Maximise shareholder value
- Low interest rate
- Tiered interest rate
- Ask for investigation report through FIDREC
- The Emperor's Clothes
- Brain Workout in The New Paper
- Serangoon North HUDC Privatisation
- ▼ 07/12 - 07/19 (25)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)