Singaporeans have a critical, negative mindset. This is part of our culture and is brought about by our education system. If we see an idea, we tend to look for what is wrong with it.
I wish to encourage a positive mindset. If we see an idea, we can look for what is the benefit of implementing it, compared with the cost. If the benefit outweigh the cost, we can go ahead. If we are not sure, we can give it a try. We try and see if it works, rather than worry about what could go wrong.
We do not need a perfect solution, before embarking on a change. We only need incremental benefits. So long, as the benefit outweigh the cost of implementing the change, we can go ahead. This is how progress can be achieved.
Many people observed that Singaporeans are not entrepreneurial. They cannot think out of the box. They are afraid of trying. This is part of the mindset and culture that we were brought up with. We know how to criticise, how to find out what is wrong, but we are not bold in making a change and to make things different, to make things better.
But, culture and mindset can be changed. We can be positive. We can be bold. We can be daring to change.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (299)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
11/08 - 11/15
- Battle of Pay TV Operators (2)
- Specific unfair practices - financial products
- Delivery of torchlight with locator
- Combating escalating motor claims
- Unfair contract terms
- Power of demonstration
- Specific unfair practices
- Unfair practices as defined in Singapore
- Gerrymandering and election
- Consumer Protection and Fair Trading Act
- Motor insurance is compulsory
- Shape Quiz for birthday party
- Delivery of rechargeable torchlight
- China Daily:More deals reached in Lehman debacle
- Be aware of your rights
- Bus arriving soon
- Increase in motor insurance premiums
- Express your views
- Invest your savings
- Providing health insurance for the population
- A free market has to be regulated
- Albert Einstein
- Economist and forecast
- Have a positive approach
- Work near your home
- Capitalism flawed
- Land sales are not protected by Financial Services...
- Make insurance available on fair terms
- Easysearch Job Portal
- Difficult to get insurance
- Encourage electronic cheques
- GST and inefficiency in our economy
- ▼ 11/08 - 11/15 (32)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)