When I visit another country, I am usually asked to complete three detailed forms for immigration, custom and health. They ask a lot of detailed questions. It is quite troublesome to complete these forms.
I suspect that the authorities do not use the information in the forms, but they still ask the visitors to complete them anyway. It cost them nothing. They do not care about the hassle given to the visitor.
The immigration form was necessary in the days before computerisation. It was the only way for them to record who has visited their country. But, after computerisation was introduced, the information of the visitor was already automatically recorded into the computer. But the immigration authority continued to ask the visitor to fill up the form.
Have you wondered why they ask you to enter information on where you are staying? The only purpose is to contact you in an emergency. If this was the purpose, it would be easier to ask the visitor to give the mobile phone number. Anyway, the forms were introduced in the days before mobile phone was available, and has not been changed.
I wonder why all the governments around the world, including Singapore, employ highly paid civil servants, but they do not think, or do not care.
My Indonesian friend passed this remark. A civil servant had said that it is their job to make life more difficult (and not simpler) for the other people.
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
12/27 - 01/03
- Risk and how to manage them
- A more caring community
- Singaporeans are able to see beyond racial lines
- Apply foreign worker levy to other jobs
- Treat immigrants fairly and well
- Community based loans
- Impact of December holidays
- Blind trust - there must be a reason?
- Pushing the buck around
- Morgan Stanley sued over failed $1.2 billion CDO
- Top priorities for the next decade
- Investment return, adjusted for inflation
- Financial institutions bet against their clients
- H1N1 - is it a scam?
- Y2K scam
- Approaching a new decade
- Affordable HDB flats
- Over production
- Expressing my views
- Loan shark menace
- Need for a minimum wage
- Hassle given to travellers
- Alternative to Travel Insurance
- A more responsive Government
- Bad experience with land banking plot
- The Talent Myth
- Talent and fat bonuses
- A good settlement mediated by FIDREC
- Financial sector is too big and unproductive
- ▼ 12/27 - 01/03 (30)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)