I have been against GST since its implementation. It is unnecessary and bad for Singapore. Here are my reasons.
a) There is no need to get revenue from GST in the first place. Unlike Western countries, Singapore does not provide much in welfare benefits, e.g. old age pension or unemployment benefit.
b) The Government already collect a lot of money from ERP, COE, land sale and foreign worker's levy.
So, the government does not really need this source of revenue. The introduction of GST (from 3%, 5% to 7%) has resulted in increase in the cost of living and added additional cost in compliance and collection. This also increased the cost of doing business.
I need your help to do some research for me, as follow:
a) How much is the GST collected in each year, and also the government surplus? (This will show that GST revenue is NOT necessary for Singapore)
b) Average income in Singapore and the number of taxpayers that earn above $100,000 and $500,000 a year.
I wish to write a paper to argue that GST should be scrapped entirely (and not just removed for essential items, or to reduce to 3% - as suggested by some opposition parties).
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2017 (1085)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
05/08 - 05/15
- Stagnant wages
- LKY and GCT leaves the cabinet
- Meeting Singaporeans in Sydney
- Prepare for an increase in population
- Buying a life annuity
- A better transport system
- Blogger is now back
- Video on Business Mail
- Feedback to FISCA
- Business Mail - Overview
- GST and Government Spending
- Sydney 13 to 23 May 2011
- FISCA website - buying a HDB flat
- GST is unnecessary and bad
- FISCA Educational talks
- Swan Lake - a great performance
- Affordable HDB flats
- Reporting by our Media
- Petition to Prime Minister
- You can find out “afterlife” now
- Paul Buchanan - A door cracks open in the little r...
- A Mandate for the Opposition
- Minister's pension
- Fat pension for ousted ministers
- Drop Life, buy Term, Invest the Difference
- Household income gap
- Growth in life insurance sales
- Insurance of gadgets
- Aljunied - putting into perspective
- Lessons from the General Election 2011
- Oppositon parties should have 25 seats in Parliame...
- Managing a Town Council
- New Foreign Minister
- What do you think of the election results?
- Political parties in Singapore
- Nominated Ministers
- Loss of Foreign Minister
- Pupsik Studios joins iShop
- We hear all your voices - PM Lee
- Reform the Electoral System
- New name for SGEP
- ▼ 05/08 - 05/15 (41)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)