Sunday, January 15, 2012

Voice mail is not useful


Hi Mr. Tan,
I wish to highlight the redundant Voicemail service in mobile phone service. More importantly, it is a waste of the caller's $$$.

Currently, when I call another person's mobile phone and if he does not pick up the call, I will be directed to the Voicemail service within 10s (approximately. Maybe less than that). When this happens, the call will start to 'eat' into my mobile phone service's talk time.


With SMS and whatsapp, this Voicemail service is redundant. I feel that it is put in to 'eat' into callers' talk time.


Subscribers can opt out of this service. However, many are unaware. Even if they are, many don't care because it 'eats' into the caller's talk time, not the subscribers'. If true, this is an unethical practice by mobile service providers to boost profits.


For your views and highlight in your blog.

Mr. Lee

REPLY BY TAN KIN LIAN
I agree with you. I had the same experience. When I get into the caller voicemail, I stopped the call immediately.

As the receiver, I find the voicemail to be impractical to use. So, I opt out of the service.As there is caller ID, it is easy to return a call to those numbers that I recognize.

4 comments:

Tan Kin Lian said...

Mr. Lee suggested that the mobile operators know that the voicemail service is useful, but they put it there to "trap unwary customers" to increase their profit.

While he has no evidence to substantiate his allegation, I know of many instances where people do not know how to differentiate between an honest and a dishonest way to make profit. They had no qualms to provide a make profit at the expense of the customer - such as providing a useless or impractical service.

The solution is for people to point out what is right and what is wrong, like what Mr. Lee had done.

I encourage other people to come forward and voice their views on bad business practices.

Anonymous said...

Correction, the subscriber also "pays" as the length of the voicemail is also detected from the subscriber's talktime. Caller also pays as it forms part of their outgoing call.

This was confirmed to me by a M1 CSO several years back when I was using their service.

cd-rom said...

Does anyone really acces their voicemail? Is there a practical use for the service?

elderflowertea said...

But I do know some people (very few) who actually listened to their voicemail!

Blog Archive