Wednesday, May 02, 2012

May Day Demonstration in Jakarta

I was in Jakarta on 1 May. It was a working day. There were several big demonstrations in various parts of Jakarta which were well covered on television. The demonstrations were peaceful and orderly.

Unlike most countries, Indonesia does not declare 1 May to be a public holiday. I was told that they already have 20 public holidays in a year, as they recognise 1 or 2 public holidays for each religion and they recognize many religions.

Many workers turn out for the demonstrations because the law requires them to be paid by the employer even when they are out on demonstration. My Indonesian friend said that this is a "crazy" law. I said that after letting off steam, they can be more productive when they are back at work.

I had to attend a meeting in an office near Parliament House, where I large demonstration was being held. I had expected that there will be a bad traffic congestion. To my surprise, the roads were clear. Many cars avoided that area. The demonstration ended before my meeting, and before the cars came back. It was the first time that I experienced light traffic!

Here is a report from Channel News Asia
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1198576/1/.html




1 comment:

Weng Mao Fa said...

I thought those are paid demostration. However, they are more matured then before.

I could not forget a female HK scial worker was killed at volunteer service during social unrest after fall of President Sohatoh.

How many X ethinic females were robbed, RAPED, killed and burned?
Is history over?

Blog Archive