Monday, August 21, 2006

I give my honest views

Some visitors to my blog are competitor agents or financial advisers. They accuse me of being biased in my views posted in this blog.

They are mistaken.

I give my honest views. I do make a judgement of what facts are fair and relevant. For example, I do not look at small investment funds, because the results are volatile. I consider them to be not suitale for long term financial planning.

Some of the large funds under NTUC Income perform slightly worse than the market. For example, our bond funds. I do not hesitate to show them, and explain why this is the case (if I know the reason).

Generally, the equity funds under NTUC Income perform well during the past three years. They earn 2% to 3% per annum better than most similar funds. I suspect that this is due to our lower charges.

Although the actual difference in charges is only 0.5% or 1%, I think that the other funds may have other charges that are not disclosed. In our case, we do NOT have any additional hidden charges.

I do not rule out that the difference could be due to the better performance of our managers. But, I think that it is mainly due to luck. In some years, certain managers may perform well, but this may reverse in other years. Over a longer period, the performance or good luck will balance out.

The low cost funds are likely to give a better return to the investors. This has been the result of many research done in America over the past decades.

No comments:

Blog Archive