I refer to the reply "the choice is yours, don't let us restrict you" from the assistant director of the Infocommun Development Authority of Singapore (Today, 7 August 1997).
In my earlier letter, I suggested that the telecom firms should be required to notify the customer when their monthly bill reach a certain limit. This is to ensure that the customer is aware of the charges that are being incurred.
The Authority's reply is that the service providers are required to publish their prices, terms and conditions of service, and that they are available on their websites.
I invite the Authority to carry out a survey and find out if new customers, especially the young, are aware about the high charges that they have to incur on some services, for example, IDD calls or roaming charges when they are overseas.
The Authority should also carry out a mystery shopping to find out what information is being given to a customer who subscribe to a mobilephone.
If a consumer to visit the websites of the telecom firms, he or she will be bewildered by the wide range of plans and the lack of essential, consumer friendly information.
Market liberalisation does not help the consumer, if they end up having to pay more, due to lack of awareness of the high charges for some services.
We need some minimal safeguard to protect the interest of the consumer. They have to be provided with clear and relevant information, especially on the charges. They should be notified in time about the high charges that are being accumulated on their bill, in case they were not aware about it.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2020 (218)
- ► 2019 (1839)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
08/05 - 08/12
- Invest my retirement savings
- Buy a modest amount of critical illness cover
- Subprime mortgages cause global stockmarkets to fa...
- Regular premium unit trust
- Pooling of Risk under a Life Annuity
- Buy a life annuity earlier
- SMS Marketing
- Customer friendly Call Center
- Online purchase of insurance in USA
- Withdraw from Combined Fund
- Earn 4% on your CPF retirement account
- How to get a higher return
- Notify consumer about the high charges
- Buy a fixed term annuity
- Financial Planning Tips
- Financial Planning for Seniors (revised FAQ)
- Working closer to home
- Collapse of bridge in Minneapolis, USA
- Waiting time for public buses
- ▼ 08/05 - 08/12 (19)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)