Dear Mr. Tan,
Thank you for maintaining your blog. I have learned a lot from your experience, observation and answers to other people's questions..
May I know your views on Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT) for long term investment as compare to STI ETF?
There are 20 REITs listed on SGX
At the current price, their average return is about 6.8% p.a
REIT would meet some of your criterias for long-term investment:
a) A diversified fund
b) Blue chip investments, i.e. non-speculative
c) Low cost, i..e. less than 1% per annum
d) Low upfront fee, less than 1%
REITS are invested in properties. This is an asset class separate from equities.
Properties are also suitable for long term investments. You can have some of your long term savings in REITS. A suitable proportion is 25% in REITS and 75% in equities and bonds.
You are right that REITS offer an attractive yield. Part of the yield represents a return of your invested capital, as the properties are a depreciating assets.
After allowing for this factor, the yield is still attractive. I have invested part of my savings in REITS. If you search my blog and look for REITS, you will get a few postings.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
03/23 - 03/30
- Expensive medical treatment
- Learn about property derivatives
- Government Bonds
- Invest your SRS
- Poor value from USD policies
- Set a realistic goal
- Defamatory comments
- Honesty is the best policy
- Stamp duty on purchase of property
- Mall of Asia, Manila
- Role of agents
- Cost of insurance
- Best insurance plan for your child
- Earn a return of 6% to 24% per annum?
- Fuel consumption for your car
- Sunset at Manila Bay
- Good advice from an uncle
- 1,027 visits on Mar 26, 2008
- Universal Life - look at the charges
- Simpler way to mail a letter
- Low cost products
- Financial planning can be confusing
- Petrol cost per kilometer travelled
- Travel to Manila, Philippines
- Switching into the Wealth Accumulator plan
- Investing in REITS
- Quality of a Good Leader in Science
- Price subsidy for essential products
- Life insurance products
- Know What's Ethical
- Take the risk and get a higher return
- Creaming off the customer
- Planning for financial security of family
- Can you trust your insurance company?
- Invest for the long term
- Disability income and family income
- Submit income tax return by e-filing
- Term insurance with income benefit
- Estate duty in Singapore
- Low cost insurance
- ▼ 03/23 - 03/30 (40)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)