Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Investing in unit trusts and shares

I helped my three children to open an account with an online portal to invest in unit trust and a stockbroker to invest in shares. I will transfer some of my shares, REITS and unit trusts to them.

I want them to learn how to manage their own investments. This will encourage them to invest their own savings from their monthly salaries in shares and low cost unit trusts. These products, have low cost and are transparent.

During the visit to the online portal and stockbroker, they are given a hands-on guidance on how to manage their investments through the website. This is their first personal experience on investments.

They will learn how to take care of their investments, instead of relying on advisers who charges high fees that are not properly disclosed to the investor. I want them to avoid investing in high cost investment-linked plans that takes away two years of their savings.

I wish to encourage young people to visit an online portal (i.e. Fundsupermart, DollarDex, POEMS, DBS Vickers) to open an account and learn how to manage your investments through the portal.

I hope that parents with adequate savings, can can transfer some cash or shares to your children to start their personal investment accounts.

1 comment:

Cai Kwan said...

hi,sir,jus saw tis post..i m only 19 tis yr but i am keen on investing as well..but dont know how to start up with..but i am strong in analytical skills..do kindly advise me =p

Blog Archive