FIRST POSTED ON 10 MAY 2008
NTUC Income earned an investment yield of 10.7% on the participating fund in 2007. The average long term yield (computed over the past 10 years) is 7.8% per annum.
I have two policies that are affected by the restructuring of the bonues. I calculated the yields on these policies as follows.
1. GROWTH (LG SERIES)
This policy commenced in December 2003 with a single premium of $75,000. The estimated cash value at December 2008 (5 year duration) is $85,127, giving a policy yield of 2.5%. There is a gap of 5.3% compared to the fund yield of 7.8%.
If I keep the policy to the maturity date in December 2013, the projected maturity benefit is $112,795 giving a yield of 4.2%. This is still somewhat low, giving a gap of 3.6% compared to the fund yield.
This single premium policy has low expenses and low cost of insurance. I estimate that a fair reduction in yield should be 1%. The actual gap is somewhat high.
2. LIVING (LW SERIES)
This policy commenced in October 1996 with an annual premium of $2,567. The estimated cash value in October 2008 (12 year duration) is $28,383, giving a negative yield of -1.5%. There is a gap of 9.3% compared to the fund yield.
Although a Living policy has higher expenses and a bigger cost of insurance protection, the gap appears to be excessive.
Over the next 3 years, the cash value grows by only 1.8% per annum. This is low compared to the fund yield.
I have three other policies not affected by the restructuring of the bonus. The cash value for two policies increase by more than 4% per annum over the next 3 years and by 2.8% for the Living policy.
I believe that the policies affected by the bonus restructuring have not been given a fair rate of annual and special bonuses. This has resulted in a poor policy yield, compared to the long term average yield.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
07/06 - 07/13
- Regulation of financial products
- Blog on public transport in Singaore
- Low yield for policies with restructured bonuses
- False advertising
- Human Organs for Sale
- Regulation of insurance
- Reduction of 4% in yield
- Avoid being cheated
- Win $3 million on the Big Sweep
- How to drive to your destination
- Additional charges under the fund
- Ideal plan (ID2)
- Low Wage in Singapore
- Education Loan
- Buy term and invest in a low cost fund
- Improve the public transport in Singapore
- Minimum wage in other countries
- People will buy insurance
- Asset Share Methodology
- FAQ: Traded Endowment Policies
- Universal Life
- How to reduce petrol and gas price..Egg logic
- Avoid high charges of investment-linked plans
- Avoid policies with high terminal bonus
- Avoid private Shield plan
- Negligence and insurance
- Who's really looking after your money?
- Logic Quiz
- Politician and accountant
- A Gracious Society and Dr. Chee Soon Juan
- ▼ 07/06 - 07/13 (31)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)