Dear Mr Tan,
You were always very critical on structure products from Bank.
And you are right!
Thanks for the previous posts on such structure products.
Sep 18, 2008, The Straits Times
DBS High Notes investors at risk
Bank warns they may lose entire stake in Lehman-linked product
By Francis Chan
SOME local investors of a product linked to bankrupt investment giant Lehman Brothers have received late-night phone calls from DBS Bank warning them that their entire stake may be wiped out. The investors have their cash in a product called DBS High Notes 5 that the bank offered wealthier clients last year. It came with a promised annual return of about 5 per cent.
But Lehman's collapse on Monday means the product will be unwound and investors may only get a portion of their investment back - or none at all.
Thank you for sending this news article to me. I am now in Jakarta and was not aware about this event. It is so sad that many people have lost their money in this "credit event".
Perhaps the small investors who lost their savings should ask MAS to look into the structure of this product, and why should the "credit event" cause a lose of their entire savings? Where did the money go?
FAQ on Structured Investment Products
- ► 2017 (631)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
09/14 - 09/21
- Biggest gamble in history - Credit default swaps
- Singapore banks and short selling
- Credit Default Swaps (CDS)
- Call to MAS to take pro-active action
- Minibond Series 6
- Pinnacle Notes and MiniBonds
- Avoid complicated products
- Foreign currency exchange rates
- Pinnacle Notes
- Mini-bonds - ask MAS to investigate
- DBS High Notes
- True cost of life insurance
- Fake Money
- Poor conversion rate for Foreign Currency
- Double standards
- How far more for the ST Index to fall?
- Beware of Scams
- On My Own
- Eligibility for an Eldershield claim
- Eldershield - is it worth insuring?
- Do you need life insurance for the whole of life?
- Eldershield - benchmark figures
- Term insurance - is the premium proportional?
- Do you hear the people sing
- Is your money safe with AIA ?
- Guaranteed drawdown pension
- Distress over an investment linked policy
- Specific Unfair practices
- Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act
- Are Consumer Protection Initiatives Meeting Expect...
- ▼ 09/14 - 09/21 (30)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)