Hi Mr. Tan,
What are your views about this type of pension? If a UK insurance company can offer something like this, surely the Singapore government can offer something like this on annuities for post 62ers? Or least something better than what we will get.
I promoted the concept of pension drawdown with an investment fund (i.e. equity, bond or mixed fund). The idea is that you invest your savings in the investment fund, earn a market yield (which can fluctuate wildly) and draw down each month what you need. Any balance in the fund on death of the investor is paid to the estate.
You can calculate the monthly drawdown to last until you are (say) 120 years old. As most people will not live to that age, there will always be some balance that is available.
If you are investing for many years, you reduce the risk of the investment fund as you will get some good years and some bad years, which will give an average yield over the period.
The UK product works in a similar way. It has an added feature to provide the guarantee. I usually advice people to avoid buying this type of guarantee, for the following reasons:
> it is costly
> it is not transparent
> the financial institution backing the guarantee can go bust (like what is happening to the credit default swaps,etc)
Take risk. Risk is to your advantage. Stay with the transparent products. Avoid structured products (like this type of guarantees),-
- ► 2013 (301)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
09/14 - 09/21
- Biggest gamble in history - Credit default swaps
- Singapore banks and short selling
- Credit Default Swaps (CDS)
- Call to MAS to take pro-active action
- Minibond Series 6
- Pinnacle Notes and MiniBonds
- Avoid complicated products
- Foreign currency exchange rates
- Pinnacle Notes
- Mini-bonds - ask MAS to investigate
- DBS High Notes
- True cost of life insurance
- Fake Money
- Poor conversion rate for Foreign Currency
- Double standards
- How far more for the ST Index to fall?
- Beware of Scams
- On My Own
- Eligibility for an Eldershield claim
- Eldershield - is it worth insuring?
- Do you need life insurance for the whole of life?
- Eldershield - benchmark figures
- Term insurance - is the premium proportional?
- Is all landbanking a scam?
- Do you hear the people sing
- Is your money safe with AIA ?
- Guaranteed drawdown pension
- Distress over an investment linked policy
- Specific Unfair practices
- Consumer Protection (Fair Trading) Act
- Are Consumer Protection Initiatives Meeting Expect...
- ▼ 09/14 - 09/21 (31)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)