I visited Nongsa, the most populated town of Batam, over the weekend. I was there more than 15 years ago. That time, I felt uneasy moving around the place.
I was surprised to find the town to be quite well developed now. I felt rather safe moving visiting various places in the town. There was no feeling that bad characters were hanging around.
I asked my guide, a Singaporean who visits his family in Batam every weekend, if Nongsa is now a safe place. He said that Nongsa is now safe, and the crime rate is now low. Pickpocketing is now rare. If any pickpocket is caught, the local people would punish the culprits as they gave a bad name to Batam and scare Singaporeans from visiting the island. The crime gangs has now move to Johore Bahru to operate there - which explains its current bad reputation.
It is enjoyable to visit Nongsa, Batam.
- ► 2013 (314)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
08/09 - 08/16
- Results of the JUTA Award (1)
- An equal opportunity
- How not to lose your mind
- Healthcare arund the world
- Bus arrival times
- Strategy - how government approaches a problem
- Case of the $12,000 kidney stone
- Adjudication by FIDREC
- Petition to PM on credit linked notes (7)
- How to be happy
- Whole life and endowment with low rates of commiss...
- Interests of policyholders protected: MAS
- Vote for the JUTA Award (new survey)
- Update on Gathering of 22 August (1)
- Minimum wage jobs
- Make an honest living
- Public Consultation on Human Rights - 22 Aug 2009
- Singapore GDP spike 20%
- Day in the Life of a Family Doctor
- Cost of Financial Planning advice
- Hassle for Travellers
- Norway towns sue Citi over structured note losses
- NS for adult new citizens not practical
- Cunfusing cab fare structure
- NYTimes.com: Shut Out at Home, Americans Go to Chi...
- Sense of belonging lacking among youth
- I've got mail
- Van for Aug 22
- My life insurance policies
- Insufficient savings? No wonder with poor insuranc...
- Singaporeans are so predictable
- Harrassing the wrong people
- Investor to share experience on BBC
- Sale of my books
- Prudential Yield 15/20 (2)
- FACTBOX: Jobless benefits vary around the world
- Nominations for the SBW Award
- DBS Bank: 'definitely' no note buyback
- The embodiment of democracy in our National flag a...
- HK investors protest DBS
- Nongsa, Batam is now a safe place
- ▼ 08/09 - 08/16 (43)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)