Many people work all the time. They are afraid to take an extended break or holiday, if they face the risk of losing their job to another person.
They work for a lifetime and look forward to enjoy life after retirement. But, when they get old, they are not able to move around easily or to enjoy the retirement.
I like to propose a better system. Each person should be allowed to take one or two months off every every three years of work. This should be made a feature of the employment contract.
To fund for this holiday, they have to pay an additional 3 to 6% of their wages into a fund, which is used to pay their replacement income when they take the vacation.
This arrangement should apply to all workers, so that there is no competition for people to continue working hard to show that they are productive.
When the worker takes the extended vacation, temporary workers can take over their work. Alternatively, the employer can have a pool of these workers to replace the permanent workers on vacation. These relief work can be a good training ground for the future workers.
The extended vacation can be for holidays, for continuing education, or for taking up a hobby. When the time comes for full retirement, it is easy for the retiree to find some other ways to occupy their time or to engage in suitable hobbies.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (306)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
09/06 - 09/13
- View from a prudent home buyer
- Town hall meeting with Geithner
- Sale of UOB Life
- CPF Retirement account or CPF Life
- Seven new rules for first time home buyers
- Big food vs Big Insurance
- Make websites easy to use
- Forbers: World turns disapproving eyes on Singapor...
- Financial Planning - Practical Steps
- Fair and balanced
- Financial planning at a late age
- Website for budget airline
- Media interview on Lehman collapse
- Dubai Metro opens
- Legal action by Minibond investors
- Good return from policies taken in the past
- Student volunteers of FISCA
- FISCA's views on MAS new regulations on investment...
- Financial Advisers can volunteer for FISCA
- 8th anniversary of terrorist attack on World Trade...
- Obama's speech to Congress about health care
- Kennedy's letter to Obama
- Future of FISCA
- Lehman Collapse - one year later
- Payout on life insurance policy
- Common sense approach towards investment products
- Interview by Foreign TV
- Lack of standard to compare the payout
- Sudoku pocket book (Logic9)
- Health care practices in USA
- A new society (7) - a fair price
- MAS respond to feedback on sale of investment prod...
- Gambling on foreign currency
- SCMP:Peace of mind at last for the minibond invest...
- Life settlement
- Higher productivity - reduce commitng cost
- Six principles of life
- A new society (6) - sources of occupation
- Life Settlement
- Singapore now stands alone
- Independent, impartial medical advice
- Alchemy and financial innovation
- Lehman Brothers set for landmark appeal
- Preparing for the Worst
- BBC: Capitalism, A Love Story
- Staged Accidents
- Shape Quiz
- MAS and PM decline request for a meeting
- A new society (5) - Enjoyment of work
- A good compensation for Minibond
- Do you like the concepts?
- A considerate driver
- Survey: Land Banking
- "Capitalism is evil," says new Michael Moore film
- A new society (4) - time to rejuvenate
- Product issuers were probably cheating
- Distributors were negligent
- Reduced air fare
- New Exotic Investments Emerging on Wall Street
- The future will be different
- Cheated by a lawyer
- ▼ 09/06 - 09/13 (61)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)