Dear Mr. Tan.
By chance, I come to know about FiSCA through the news media and I must say that the articles therein are very very useful.
I write to seek some advice. I am nearly 60 years old and lost my job a few years ago. I tried to start a business, but was unsuccessful. I stopped all my insurance policies ealier. I have just sold off my property, and after repaying the loan from the bank, I have about $300,000 cash.
Is it too late for me to make a financial plan? What insurance policies should I take up now? My children are all working now. I need $1,500 a month for myself and my wife.
You can buy the MediShield to cover yourself and your wife. There is no need to buy any other insurance policy. Read this FAQ.
You can put as much as is allowed in CPF to earn 4% per annum, and invest the rest in long term government bonds to earn 2% to 2.5%. If you wish to earn a higher return, you can consider the suggestion set out in this FAQ.
If you earn 2% pa on your money and you draw out $1,500 a month, the $300,000 will last you about 20 years.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
09/06 - 09/13
- View from a prudent home buyer
- Town hall meeting with Geithner
- Sale of UOB Life
- CPF Retirement account or CPF Life
- Seven new rules for first time home buyers
- Big food vs Big Insurance
- Make websites easy to use
- Forbers: World turns disapproving eyes on Singapor...
- Financial Planning - Practical Steps
- Fair and balanced
- Financial planning at a late age
- Website for budget airline
- Media interview on Lehman collapse
- Dubai Metro opens
- Legal action by Minibond investors
- Good return from policies taken in the past
- Student volunteers of FISCA
- FISCA's views on MAS new regulations on investment...
- Financial Advisers can volunteer for FISCA
- 8th anniversary of terrorist attack on World Trade...
- Obama's speech to Congress about health care
- Kennedy's letter to Obama
- Future of FISCA
- Lehman Collapse - one year later
- Payout on life insurance policy
- Common sense approach towards investment products
- Interview by Foreign TV
- Lack of standard to compare the payout
- Sudoku pocket book (Logic9)
- Health care practices in USA
- A new society (7) - a fair price
- MAS respond to feedback on sale of investment prod...
- Gambling on foreign currency
- SCMP:Peace of mind at last for the minibond invest...
- Life settlement
- Higher productivity - reduce commitng cost
- Six principles of life
- A new society (6) - sources of occupation
- Life Settlement
- Singapore now stands alone
- Independent, impartial medical advice
- Alchemy and financial innovation
- Lehman Brothers set for landmark appeal
- Preparing for the Worst
- BBC: Capitalism, A Love Story
- Staged Accidents
- Shape Quiz
- MAS and PM decline request for a meeting
- A new society (5) - Enjoyment of work
- A good compensation for Minibond
- Do you like the concepts?
- A considerate driver
- Survey: Land Banking
- "Capitalism is evil," says new Michael Moore film
- A new society (4) - time to rejuvenate
- Product issuers were probably cheating
- Distributors were negligent
- Reduced air fare
- New Exotic Investments Emerging on Wall Street
- The future will be different
- Cheated by a lawyer
- ▼ 09/06 - 09/13 (61)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)