What is the affordable price of a HDB flat?
In my book, Practical Guide on Financial Planning, I suggested that the flat should represent 4 to 5 years of the combined family income (after deducting the cost of employing a maid). If the combined family income is $5,000 and the cost of the maid is $800, an affordable price for a flat is $4,200 X (48 to 60) = $200,000 to $250,000.
The monthly repayment should be within 25% of the family income and the loan can be repaid within 25 years or before reaching age 55. If the monthly repayment is more than 25% of the income, you are paying too much for your flat (or private housing).
If you have used CPF or personal savings towards the down payment for your flat, your monthly repayment should be reduced proportionately below 25%, as you need the difference to be saved to restore back the savings that have been used for the down payment.
Tan Kin Lian
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
01/24 - 01/31
- Pro-investor Champions
- Speeches from the White House
- Working together
- Buying consumer goods on installment payment
- Practice your skill in stock picking
- High housing price in Singapore
- Abolish the Financial Advisors Act?
- Wages and purchasing power
- Improved version of Pro-Investor
- Housing prices and cost of living
- Stabilize the price of new HDB flats
- The Political System in America
- Funny financing
- Investing in properties for rental
- SCMP:Regulator 'could have avoided minibond fiasco...
- Redemption of Pinnacle Notes
- A Healthier, Happier, Fitter New Year
- Pricing of new HDB flats
- Affordable flats
- Enhanced SingPass
- Secret in picking the right stocks
- The Wheel of History will Move Forward
- Improved user interface for Pro-Investor
- Stuyvesant Town, Manhatten
- Survey: Educating the Young
- Password security
- Singapore's declining birth rate
- Facebook Fan page for Tan Kin Lian & Associates
- The Singapore Recalcitrant
- Why I joined the Opposition - Gerald Giam
- Quality of Life Index
- Market correction?
- China based Singapore listed firms
- Social studies - a compulsory subject
- Ethical financial consultants
- Talk at NLB: Financial Planning in Time of Crisis
- Successful start to Pro-Investor
- ▼ 01/24 - 01/31 (37)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)