Monday, June 07, 2010

Inflated repair cost

Hello
I'm a 23 yrs old guy who got into an car accident few months back. the accident happened like this, it was red light and when it showed green light the car infront started to move. I was moving at low speed as well and before i knew it, he braked. I managed to brake in time but unfortunately I kissed the back of his bumper and there was no scratches no dent.


I passed him my NRIC, name and contact. However, I did not take down his particulars and did not take any pictures or report to the police about this incident because I thought it was a small matter. Today, he sent me a letter claiming over $6,000 in repair and over $2,000over on 16 days of car rental.

I saw your internet forum about car fraud. How can I prove that the original damage was small? I did offer him to go to workshop to sort this out together but he refused. As there wasn't anyone in my car, I got no witness and evidence. How could i use his evidence against him?

REPLY
You can pass the case to your insurance company to handle. you can make a report that it was a small dent and that both parties agreed not to report the accident and make a claim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't see how the insurance company can help without photo evidence. how about installing those digital recording camera in front of the car?

Anonymous said...

You should have approach your insurer for help in the first place. Follow the standard process. By taking things in your own hands and saving the trouble, you only causing more headaches for yourself.

The right approach, whether there is any damage or not, is to do reporting. This is so that at the workshop or reporting centre, there is someone who can be witness to the damage (if any) to your car or the other party's car.

After 16 days, a lot of things can happen, for e.g., knocked by another car, etc

Next time, please follow the rule. It is there for a reason.

Blog Archive