Monday, August 09, 2010

Build FISCA

A young man thanked me for replying promptly to his question about an insurance policy that is being offered to him, especially (as he pointed out) on a public holiday.

I run a small start up (see www.tankinlian.com for a range of my consulting, software development and other activities) and have to spend most of my working time there.

I can and have to do the educational work (i.e my blog and website) mostly in the evenings, weekends and public holidays. I also have to spend a lot of time looking for volunteers for FISCA and to get their commitment to spend time on its educational activities. That is also a lot of work and sacrifice. But the work has to be done, in the interest of educating the public about financial issues and giving them the knowledge to make better financial decisions.

I like to ask those who have benefited from my blog and FAQs in my website to give tangible support for FISCA in the following ways:
  • Join FISCA as a member (only $36 a year) 
  • Attend the educational talks of FISCA ($30 for public, reduced rate for members)
  • Donate to FISCA (say 10% of the distribution cost that you saved by avoiding a bad policy)
FISCA needs funds to pay an allowance to its volunteers (some of whom are not gainfully employed). I am not able to handle FISCA on my own.  More people are joining FISCA (and I thank them for their support), but I need much more. So please spread the word around.

Remember - if you have gained from my educational activities, you could save $100,000 over the next 30 years,. That is a lot of money - not to be taken for granted. Make a generous donation to FISCA.


Tan Kin Lian


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Mr. Tan,
I want to thank you for all your effort. Unfortunately, I got to read what you have written only after I have lost a fortune. Being unemployed and lost just about all my investible fund, I can only help with the spread of mouth on your work but not so much financially.
thank you once again.

zhummmeng said...

FISCA requires fund to operate and Mr.Tan is contributing his time and expertise free.
FISCA can help you with product analysis, before and after. Because you can't trust the insurance agents anymore after so much bad things about them have been exposed,it is dangerous to buy from agents.
MAS expects you to make informed decision and insurance agents only 'help' you buy the products that benefit them and NOT YOU.
It saves a lot of money consulting FISCA.

Tan Kin Lian said...

Thank you Walau.
You can help to spread the work, as financial resources is not within your means now.
My call is for other people who can be more generous than you.

Tan Kin Lian said...

I received this e-mail:

Dear Mr. Tan,
Thank you for your time, sacrifice and contribution. Very much appreciated by people like me.

You are doing the work that should have been done (but is neglected) by the MD of MAS who is receiving a big salary (don't know how much) and also a Meritorious Service Award. This is uniquely Singapore.

Joe

Blog Archive