I've got nothing against money. I'd like to have money myself! I'd like to
have a house and a garden and dogs and a car and a chauffeur but, look,
I've got a flat. I've got a swimming pool attached to the flat. I've not
even got a car but I use taxis. I have a dignified way of life without
I don't see the necessity of owning a Mercedes-Benz and a swimming pool
and a couple of mistresses. I think we've got our values all wrong.
You know $96,000 a month for a Prime Minister and $60,000 a month for a
minister. What the hell do you do with all that money? You can't eat it!
What do you do with it? Your children don't need all that money.
My children have had the best of education. In fact, I'm very proud of
them. One of them is a senior registrar to two major hospitals in Oxford.
Another of them is a consultant in European law to the Securities and
Investment Board in the United Kingdom. They've had their education. There
are no complaints.
I never earned $60,000 a month or $90,000 a month. When I was Chief
Minister, I earned $8,000 a month.
Look, what is happening today is we are encouraged to and are becoming
worshippers of the Golden Calf.
We have lost sight of the joy and excitement of public service, helping
our fellow men. The joy and excitement of seeking and understanding of the
joy of the miracle of the living the duty and the grandeur. We have lost
taste for heroic action in the service of our people.
We have become good bourgeois seeking comfort, security. It's like seeking
a crystal coffin and being fed by intravenous injections through pipes in
the crystal coffin; crystal coffins stuck with certificates of your
- ► 2013 (345)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
08/08 - 08/15
- FAQs in TKL website
- Junk Mail
- Advice to young people on financial planning
- PDF centric website 
- Subsidised dating
- Customer Service
- YOG in perspective
- Senior Citizens Bumper Stickers
- Why peace is better than happiness?
- Successful leadership
- My views
- Bust of property bubble
- Invest in the stock market
- PDF Centric Website
- Invest for the long term 
- Your endowment could be sold for more
- Singapore Dream and Gripes
- Invest in Foreign Currency
- Class action in USA - minibonds
- Wait for market correction
- Impartial Financial Advice
- Existing Life Insurance Policy 
- Bad customer service
- Bike sharing
- LKY Water Prize and National Day Award
- High price of HDB flats
- The Purpose of Talent
- How to read benefit illustration
- Mr Brown Show on Youtube
- Poor customer service
- David Marshall in 1994
- The Notebook Mall
- Lehman, HSBC maybe sued over minibonds
- Property as a cost of living
- Risk management
- High deduction for investment linked plan
- Yes, Prime Minister
- When should one retire?
- National Day Award
- Relevance of Tommy Wong's book
- Build FISCA
- Bill Gates and Education
- Happy 45th National Day
- Lesson for Singapore
- Which type of attachment brings bliss?
- Cancel the policy during free look period
- Avoid a promotion on life insurance
- Insurance against unemployment
- Participating Policy
- Singapore Exchange
- ▼ 08/08 - 08/15 (51)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)