Printed in Straits Times Forum page
We agree with Mr Tam Ah Hock ('Protect consumers'; Nov 10) that the insurer of an illegally modified vehicle that caused the accident should pay the third-party claim.
After paying the claim, the insurer can seek to recover the loss from its policyholder, if the policyholder had breached its conditions. This should be a separate matter between the insurer and its insured and should not affect the third-party claimant.
The insurer is not acting fairly by refusing to consider a claim from the third party on the grounds of a breach of policy condition. It is hard for the third party to sue an uninsured owner, as the owner may not be able to pay.
The current law should be amended to extend compulsory insurance coverage to damage of third-party vehicles.
The insurer should also be required to pay compensation to third parties, regardless of a policy breach by the insured. This will protect third parties but leave the insurer free to seek recovery of the loss from its insured.
At present, most owners buy at least third-party insurance to cover injury and property damage. The change to the law will not cause hardship to consumers.
MR TAN KIN LIAN,
President, Financial Services Consumers Association
- ► 2019 (1284)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
11/14 - 11/21
- Read my book - Practical Guide on Financial Planni...
- Business Times: UBS takes on couple in $9m lawsuit...
- Large increase in membership of FISCA
- Garrett Goh's original letter
- Garrett Goh: Strategy behind buying term insurance...
- Motor claims - protect consumer who make third par...
- Motor insurance premium
- Why Investment Linked Policy make a bad investment...
- Myths about Private Shield
- Election is coming - read SGEP
- Lim Pueh Joo: Investment-linked policy works best ...
- Medical insurance for elderly people
- Buy 2 get 1 free
- Ask Mr. Tan - Low cost investment fund
- Pretty good for Government work
- Shape Quiz (bundle of 10 minipaks)
- Intelligence Quiz - vol 1, 2 and 3 (bundle)
- Wisdom on How to Live Life (Book 3)
- USB Charger
- Articles in SGEP
- SCMP:Bank officer charged over minibond investment...
- Living on accumulated savings - DIY
- John Bogle - Investing in indexed fund
- Warren Buffet on Low Cost Investment Fund
- Dave Ramsey on Life Insurance I
- Suze Orman - Life Insurance is a bad investment
- FISCA talk - Insuring your Financial Security
- FISCA Talk on Financial Planning
- Costly rider to cover critical illness
- Financial Calcuation with Excel
- Choose a good life insurance company
- Living on your accumulated savings
- Suzy Orman - Cash value and Term Life Insurance
- Poor deal from a life annuity
- Economic Growth and Equity
- Donation to FISCA
- Suzy Orman on Life Insurance
- Existing life insurance policies - continue or ter...
- 33.3% discount on Financial Planning book
- Why only term insurance plans make sense now
- Life insurance - agent and consumers
- Misconceptions about insurance
- Noisy carnival at Bishan
- Gold investment scam?
- Interesting articles in SGEP
- Sound policies, impressive candidate for General E...
- Get a Fair Deal
- Vitamin Account (6 year SGD equity linked structur...
- Be prudent in buying insurance
- FISCA analysis of DBS preference shares
- ▼ 11/14 - 11/21 (50)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
- ► 2007 (1803)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)