Monday, August 22, 2011

Words from a young graduate

I watched with great interest your interviews on Straight Talk and the dialogue session hosted by The Online Citizen. I am also an avid reader of your blog ever since you started it.

In fact, you may not remember, but I had a brief encounter, albeit only virtually, with you in year 2000. I was very impressed by your readiness to extend a helping hand, notwithstanding your busy schedule as the CEO of NTUC Income. 


I was then an undergraduate in NUS doing my final year project in evaluating the value of adequacy annuities as a retirement planning tool in Singapore. I emailed to ask for your help to access some pricing data from NTUC Income. Not only you replied within an hour, you referred your managers to assist me. I was deeply touched. You were the only CEO among all the insurance companies I wrote to then who did that. I have, of course, long graduated; your kind deed, however, has been remembered till today. Incidentally, I graduated with a First Class Honours -- your act of kindness has certainly helped!

Now that you are running for the Elected President Office, I am again seeing in you the commitment and passion that impressed me so much a decade ago. Your Hi-5 resonates with me. I, too, believe that those 5 values are very important, may it be for someone assuming a high office or even a man in the street. Your background, too, has inspired me. I came from poor family as well. Education, hard work and character can make a difference.

I like what I see in you -- your character, your beliefs, your efforts and your deeds. I have asked my friends and family to support you, too.

Do push on in your beliefs. Many of us are behind you!!

Wei Peng


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is heartening to know that TKL has a heart and bother to help anyone that he could.

LL

Anonymous said...

You think the current CEO will?
Wait long long. He is too big shot. There has been many complaints about his attitude.

G C said...

Dear Mr. Tan,

I am one of those who read your blog everyday. Since the very first time I came into your blog, and after following few of your comments and writings I can fell your sincerity and honestly.

Though I did not know you in person but I can feel your sincerity and honesty from your blog posting.

I benefit a lot by reading your blog.

Now you are running for Singpoare President Election, though it may not affect me directly, I do wish you all the best and hope most of the Singaporeas also can feel your sincerity and honesty in you.

All the best.

G C Tham

KL

Anonymous said...

Mr. Tan , I notice you don't have poster right infront of your former NTUC Income Centre. I can see Tan Jee Say, Tony Tan and Tan Cheng Bock but not yours. Why? is it you are banned from hanging your poster infront of ntuc income centre? You should and must have one to be fair to you.

Fair Play

Blog Archive