Saturday, April 14, 2012

Hefty fee to witness a document


12 April 2012

Editor, Voices
Today Paper

I have to sign a legal document, involving a foreign transaction, in front of a notary public in Singapore. I approached a legal firm and was told that the fee is $40 to witness each signature on each copy of the same document. The total fee for four copies is $160 plus GST. I guess that the actual work would probably take less than five minutes of the lawyer's time.

I checked with another lawyer and was told me that this is the standard rate recommended by some authorized body. I am puzzled, as there is a competition law in Singapore that is supposed to prevent collusion in setting unreasonably high fees.

I do not understand why a lawyer needs to charge $160 to witness a signature on 4 copies of the same document and why this simple task should only be done by a lawyer.

Tan Kin Lian

4 comments:

Tan Kin Lian said...

The fee charged by a notary public in Malaysia is MYR 50 for the first copy and MYR 10 for each subsequent copy of the same document.

As I have to notarize 4 copies, the fee charged is SGD 160 in Singapore and MYR 80 (SGD 32) in Malaysia.

It cost in Singapore is 5 times of Malaysia. If we ignore the exchange difference, it is twice as costly in Singapore!

Vincent Sear said...

To be frank and sorry to say, sir, I don't think the work could be done in five minutes. I've had experience and dealings with Singapore and US lawyers before.

If the lawyer acting as notary public just glanced through and countersigned on four documents, whether different or duplicates, I'd be worried his about his/her professionalism and attitude.

I'm sure when requiring notary public, it's not as simple as insurance or CPF beneficiary nomination form where it's standardised unilaterally drafted. Don't need to read, just verify the witnesses' names and ICs.

Careen said...

I've gotten my certification of identity signed and sealed by a notary public today for examination application purpose and he charged me RM80. I was puzzled but forced to pay as it's difficult to get one in my area.

Babit said...

This is most informative and also this posts most user-friendly and super navigation to all posts.
Legalisation Services

Blog Archive