Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Paying road tax online

A simple matter of paying road tax online turns out to be a nightmare. Here is my story.

As instructed by the LTA renewal notice, I went to www.onemotoring.com.sg. I recalled that most government agencies required to use Internet Explorer, so I remembered to use it - although my default browser is Chrome.

I login to my Singpass and got nowhere, so wasted some time. I had to search the complicated website and after some time, managed to find the link to pay road tax. (I wonder why the notice did not ask me to go to the correct webpage and save me this search!)

I entered the vehicle number, owner NRIC number (got it wrong as I did not include the S earlier) and managed to go to the payment page. There was a message from Microsoft that a pop-up was blocked and it disappeared. As I am not familiar with IE, I had to search through the IE website to find out how to unblock this pop-up - and it took me some time.

I went back to re-enter the transaction and was told that it was blocked by another transaction and I had to wait for it to be completed.

I had past experience dealing with online websites of government agencies, and yet I still faced this type of difficulty, all the time. Now I remember, I forgot to bring my mobile phone to authenticate the credit card payment.

Our government agencies design complicated online processes that waste a lot of time on simple matters. I have given many feedback, but nobody bothers to fix it.


2 comments:

Tan Choon Hong said...

I could not my pay road tax online because the site does not accept Credit Cards when I reached the last page!

This information should be displayed prominently upfront before car owner fill in any data. What a waste of time.

Steven Kik said...

Few years back, I used the service to pay my road tax, till the last step, realized not accepting credit card, try to cancel the transaction, ended up with an error on screen.

Subsequent check, my road tax has been renewed! Went down to check on AXS machine, road tax shown renewed.

In the end, have to purposely make a trip to LTA to do the renewal in person! Holy cow!

Are we still in 1980s?


steve

Blog Archive