Sunday, August 05, 2012

Appreciation to an old teacher

My teacher in Secondary 1B - Mr. Lim Guan Kin
This is Mr. Lim Guan Kin. He was my form master in Secondary 1B at Raffles Institution in 1962. I met him again after 50 years on the 50th anniversary re-union of the cohort in my school.

Mr. Lim taught English to the class. When he marked the composition of my classmates, he quite frequently use the word "Verbose". I have not seen this word used by another other person. I will always remember him by this word.

"Verbose" means "having too many unnecessary words. I learn from Mr. Lim to write clearly, without being verbose, and that is the hallmark of my writing for the next 50 years.

My appreciation to Mr. Lim Guan Kin.


3 comments:

Lye Khuen Way said...

Remember those days when we had Grammar drills and precise!
Some MOE scholar years ago believed that English Grammar could be picked up in the home. He forgot that real English speaking families are a oddities in Singapore.

He must also believed in the "betterest", "fasterest" Singaporeans abilities.

Missed that small "First Aid in Grammar " textbook!
Could not find it in bookshops nowadays.

Anonymous said...

Kin lian, how old is he now? He looks quite young stll

Tan Kin Lian said...

He must be in his late 70s.

Blog Archive