Sunday, February 28, 2021

Quora: Is it safer to live in China than US ? And why?


Ward Chartier. Retired. Former manufacturing ops General Manager (2017–present)

Lived in Shanghai for seven years. During that time I was aware of one local person who lost a wallet to a pickpocket operating in a tourist area. Another time, someone broke into the trunk of a friend’s car and took a few items of low value. I never suffered any losses.

Sometimes I might be walking home past midnight on lonely but well lit roads. There might be young women walking alone, going home after work in the factories or restaurants. They seemed to be completely unconcerned that they would reach home safely. I can’t imagine this happening in any city in the US with a population larger than 1 million.

I only traveled outside of Shanghai a little, maybe 6 weeks total. From what I hear, the smaller cities and countryside are very safe.

No comments:

Blog Archive