Sunday, February 11, 2007

Philp Yeo - Lee Wei Ling Debate

My friend asked for my view on the debate between Philip Yeo and Lee Wei Ling. Whose side am I on?

I said, Philip Yeo is right. Lee Wei Ling is also right.

He was surprised. How can I said that both people are right? I told him, "you are also right!".

Philip Yeo advocated a broad based approach - to focus on many areas and find out which present the opportunity. Lee Wei Ling preferred a targeted approach, to focus on niches where we have a competitive advantage.

In tacking my own business issues, I adopt both approaches. I call it, "working at two levels". At the first level, I adopt a broad approach to have a better understanding of the issues, and the areas to work on. At the second level, I focused on the targeted areas.

I am usually able to find the right approach - one that produces the best result.

2 comments:

Keloth Prem said...

There was some write-up in the local press regarding this.

Still, I like the summary contained in paragraph 4 of your posting.

You identified the issue clearly in only 2 lines and brought it home for the readers.

Edwin Wuu said...

Hi Kin Lian,
What approach would you have given if you were given his position back then?

Edwin

Blog Archive