Dear Mr Tan,
I read with interest the recent press stories regarding AVIVA's refusal to pay a woman's medical insurance claim on grounds of a "pre-existing condition" despite her being unaware of it.
Sure, one must always carefully read the terms of contract and contract language that is unambigious would leave little room for doubt.
But I cannot agree with AVIVA's clause because THE key motivation for people taking up insurance is to provide financially for the unexpected! AVIVA's clause though precise, leaves little doubt as to its intention.
At least one doctor has written publicly to suggest what constitutes a "pre-existing condition" is a matter of professional opinion, and there may be serious conditions that are latent.
There is a moral responsibility on the part of insurance companies to its policyholders. Insurance companies should not hide behind the veil of a carefully worded contract to avoid paying a claim.
There have been many cases of fraudulent claims but I am certain health insurance is one area few would like to invoke if one had a choice.
Though I have chosen to write to you in your personal capacity, I always regarded NTUC Income (thanks to your stewardship) as being more "responsible" and it is my hope that your successor will continue your good work.
- ► 2013 (307)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
02/11 - 02/18
- I like your blog, because it is plain
- I have completed my last day in NTUC Income
- I need to be protected for dread disease
- How to save for the future
- Low Fertility Rate of 1.2
- Growth Policy and Growth Fund
- Early withdrawal of Single Premium Endowment (Grow...
- Policyholder make monthly withdrawal from the Grow...
- Single premium endowment
- Suitable jobs for seniors
- Moral responsibility of a insurance company
- Provide adequate financial security for your famil...
- Best wishes for the Lunar New Year
- Join a Car Pool
- Get a contractor to repair the leak
- Do not understand life insurance?
- What to do when your term insurance expires?
- Encourage more people to save for their retirement...
- Before you go for expensive medical treatment ...
- Tips on Medical Insurance
- You can comment in my blog
- My experience on public transport
- Do not be locked into a poor return
- Compare Ideal plan with unit trust
- Big Trumpet Folder
- High cost of life insurance products
- Why are financial planners more successful in othe...
- A flexible financial plan
- Philp Yeo - Lee Wei Ling Debate
- ▼ 02/11 - 02/18 (29)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)