Income has introduced a whole life policy where the premium is payable for 20 years only.
What is the difference, compared to a critical year policy?
I find the premium to be quite high for Income's policy.
Under the Income policy, you are contratually required to pay the premium for 20 years only, and enjoy the coverage for the whole of life. It does not use the future rate of bonus to pay the future premium. In fact, the future bonus will add to the cash and protection value of the policy.
A "critical year" policy use the future bonus to pay the future premium. It makes a bold assumption on the future rate of bonus to have a shorter "critical year". This is not guaranteed.
Some people find the premium under the "limited payment" policy to be expensive. It could be more than twice of the premium under a whole life or living policy, where the premium is payable until age 85.
If you wish to enjoy a lower premium, you should take a whole life or living policy, with premium payable for life. You can stop the premium at any time, and convert the policy into a paid up policy for a reduced sum assured.
What's wrong with the "critical year" policy?
The insurance agent project a high rate of bonus and tells the customer that the premium will be self funding after x years. When the rate of bonus drops, the critical year is extended for many more years. The customer enjoys a lower premium rate, but is not guaranteed that the premium will actually stop at the critical year.
Conclusion: To enjoy a lower premium, take an ordinary whole life or living policy. To enjoy a "limited premium", be prepared to pay a higher premium.
- ► 2019 (1682)
- ► 2018 (1406)
- ► 2017 (1258)
- ► 2016 (828)
- ► 2015 (691)
- ► 2014 (144)
- ► 2013 (501)
- ► 2012 (1269)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1654)
- ► 2008 (2104)
03/25 - 04/01
- Websites that impose their password pattern
- Income Tax Returns for 2007
- Invest in fixed deposit for one month
- How to cope with the next recession
- Security check at Changi Airport
- Court fines
- Pays 20 years for a whole life policy
- Sudoku fan enjoys birthday gift
- My name, Liang
- Know a city through its train system
- Alvin Soong's Blog
- Thomas Phua's Blog
- Better to invest in the Money Market
- Taxi service in Singapore
- Importance of values in our life
- Commuter train service in Kuala Lumpur
- Taxi service in Kuala Lumpur
- Traffic congestion in Kuala Lumpur
- Technology for car pooling to an event
- My vision of the public transport system
- My childhood
- High oil prices and the stockmarket
- Good experience with Wireless@SG
- Monday Interview in Straits Times
- The Woman behind Dr. Lee Kum Tatt
- A better transport system
- Shuttle bus to an event
- Market Salaries for Top People
- Google Mail
- Active use of PDA
- Active Blogs
- An excellent ballet, Coppellia
- ▼ 03/25 - 04/01 (33)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)