Dear Mr. Tan,
I invested in this product almost 5 years ago. It will mature in 2008.
Name of product: Star Track II SGD
Amount invested: $5,000
Period of investment: 5 years
Return on maturity: Currently, it is worth only $4,373.80. Guaranteed to return back principle invested sum of $5000 on maturity.
Why was the product unsatisfactory? It give a worse return compared to savings account.
I found the following information from the website:
In order to provide investors protection for 100% of the capital invested, DBS Star Track II will invest a substantial portion of its net assets in a combination of debt securities issued by corporations, governments, government agencies or supranationals.
Participation in the upside of equity stocks:
To give investors the opportunity to obtain capital appreciation at
maturity on 5 November 2008, the remaining net assets of the Fund will be invested in an option (the "Option"), linked to the performance of a basket of equity stocks.
The selection of 3 top performing stocks will be done after the 1st anniversary of the Fund to form a "star" basket, another selection of 3 top performing stocks will be done on the 3rd anniversary.
REMARKS: Apparently, the options did not produce any return. Hence, the investor obtained only the return of capital (from the debt instruments). The fund has an annual fee of 1% (which eats away from the return).
- ► 2013 (310)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
07/01 - 07/08
- Life annuity - capital preservation
- Bad experience with structured products
- Products that give good value
- Limited premium policy
- Vera and her mother
- Premium for term insurance
- Low cost product
- Postage increased to 26 cents
- One Motoring Website
- Another Tan Kin Lian
- Early redemption penalty
- Expense ratio of financial products
- More than Insurance
- Stock and property markets
- Simple financial products
- How can Singaporeans be happy?
- Views about entrepreneurship
- Surf Deposit 20
- Pay less for your home loan
- Star Track II SGD
- The real winners in structured products
- Measure yield on money market fund
- Any good structured products?
- Wisdom of Crowds
- Flexible terms for your mortgage loan
- Fixed monthly repayment on mortgage loan
- Commission paid on life insurance
- Return from a life annuity
- Sell low cost policy
- Low cost product
- Fixed or floating rate for your mortgage?
- Different types of mortgages
- Adjustible Rate Mortgage
- Look for good advisers
- Lorenzo de Medici
- Life cycle funds
- Investment Funds
- Vanguard Funds
- How Vanguard markets its funds
- Risk and return
- BIGe pays 3.5%
- Investing in High Yielding Bonds
- Difference between ILP and par fund
- Investing your CPF savings
- Switch to lower level of risk
- Monitor bond and money market yields
- Rating of CPF approved funds
- Maybank's Regal Structured Deposit
- Ideal structure of an investment fund
- Fair treatment of policyholders
- ▼ 07/01 - 07/08 (51)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)