Dear Mr Tan,
I understand that the premium for the Shield plan varies according to the current age. It means that I have to pay a higher premium when I grow older. The increase can be quite steep. Is it possible for me to pay a level premium?
It is true you have to pay a higher premium when you grow older. To get an idea about the likely amount, you can refer to section 15 of this FAQ.
It is not possible for the insurance company to charge a level premium, as the premium rate has to be revised according to the claim experience. It is likely that the cost of treatment will increase in the future, due to new technology and more sophisticated method of treatment.
The premium will increase due to two factors - increase in your age (as older people need more treatment) and escalation of treatment cost.
Although you pay an increasing premium, you can use your CPF Medisave account to level out the cost. You should keep sufficient money in this account to pay for all of your future cost. It allows you to earn interest on the balance in your account.
You also have the choice to downgrade to a less costly plan, when you grow older. This option is available only if you have a plan with a yearly adjustible premium.
- ► 2013 (348)
- ► 2012 (1270)
- ► 2011 (1873)
- ► 2010 (2369)
- ► 2009 (1655)
- ► 2008 (2105)
07/29 - 08/05
- Common Sense and your Blue Rose
- Level premium for Shield plan
- Application of Laws of Chemistry to Our Everyday L...
- Dr. Lee Kum Tatt and his blog
- Some tips on investing in structured products
- Single premium endowment has its attractions
- Earn 4% in your CPF special account
- Buy term and invest in a low cost fund
- Writing a Will
- Starhub Mobile
- Surgical operation was not helpful
- Brief History of Science in Early Singapore
- How to apportion the investments?
- Invest in bonds now?
- Two currencies system
- Financial Planning for the Young (revised FAQ)
- Invest in single premium ILP
- Investing your CPF and cash savings
- Strengths of mature workers
- Use older workers for their strengths
- Budget Roaming with Sunpage
- Blue Ocean Strategy
- A good financial plan - case study
- Growth policy: yield of 4.6% p.a.
- Avoid Roaming Charges
- Shared Values
- Wireless Broadband
- ▼ 07/29 - 08/05 (28)
- ► 2006 (696)
- ► 2005 (159)